When you have braces cleaning your teeth properly becomes even more important! Fortunately, brushing your teeth with braces is quite easy…it just requires a little patience!
You’ll start by brushing your teeth the same way you did before you had braces. Here’s a refresher for how to do it with proper technique:
- Rinse your toothbrush and apply toothpaste.
- Position your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums, and then to the tops and bottoms of your braces.
- Gently move the brush in short, circular strokes over your teeth and braces. Brush the fronts, backs and chewing surfaces of all your teeth.
- Brush your teeth thoroughly and methodically for 30 seconds per “quadrant”, that means at least two minutes of brushing.
- Remember to brush your tongue as well to remove bacteria and keep your breath fresh.
After brushing as above use an interdental brush (you can get one from your orthodontist or local pharmacy) to brush between your archwires and teeth. Interdental brushes are shaped like tiny bottle brushes. Interdental brushes make it easy to get into those hard to reach areas.
The video below offers a helpful demonstration of brushing with braces, and how to use an interdental brush.