Visiting your Vancouver orthodontist periodically for adjustments is an important part of your orthodontic treatment if you have braces. Here's what you can expect when you visit us for your braces adjustment appointments.
In order for your braces to gradually and incrementally move your teeth into their desired positions, they will need to be adjusted frequently throughout your treatment.
This is what will happen when you visit Dr. Aly Kanani's office for your adjustment appointment:
- Dr Kanani's orthodontic assistant will remove the elastics that hold your archwire on to the brackets of your braces.
- Next, your archwire will be removed.
- Your orthodontist will examine your teeth to assess how your treatment is progressing.
- If any parts of your braces are broken they will be replaced now.
- Your new archwire and elastics will be put in place. (If this is your first adjustment appointment this step may be a little painful, but future adjustments should be less uncomfortable.)
- Now is the time to let your orthodontist know if anything is poking or causing you discomfort. Your orthodontist that will correct the issue right away.
- That's it, your adjustment is complete!
- All you need to do now is book your next adjustment appointment.
After an adjustment appointment it's not unusual to feel a little sore, but it should wear off after a few days. Try icing your face periodically, or take an over-the-counter painkiller, and stick to soft foods if you are experiencing discomfort after you adjustment appointment.