We know that it can seem like braces are a hassle, but since you’re in it for the long haul, you might as well add your own unique style to them. Here's a few ways to decide which colours to choose at your next braces appointment
How Your Braces Change Colour
Braces are made up of lots of different parts that work together to straighten your teeth. One important part is the elastic bands.
The elastic bands are also called ligatures, and they are placed around each bracket to hold the archwire in the bracket slot.
Elastics gradually lose their flexibility over time, and so your orthodontist will need to change them at each adjustment appointment in order to keep your braces working as they should. One cool thing about having the elastics changed at each appointment is that they come in lots of different colours and you get to choose which colours you'd like for your smile!
Ways to Choose Your Braces Colours
If you're having trouble deciding which colours to choose, here are a few tips and ideas to help you make up your mind!
- simply pick your favourite colour
- choose the colours of your favourite sports team
- try out your school colours
- avoid brown, black and some shades of green; these could make it look like you have food stuck in your teeth
- avoid white since white elastic can cause teeth to look yellow
- choose a colour that suits your complexion
- choose colours that compliment your eyes
Try not to worry too much about which colour to choose at your next appointment. You will get many more chances to try out other colours throughout your braces treatment.